7.14.2008

Does Beekeeping Run in the Family?

I'm sure it's a total coincidence, but it is a pretty funny coincidence, that yesterday a swarm of bees chose my brother and his partner's old farmhouse for their new home. The house-hunting seems to have started in earnest on Saturday, with a few scout bees checking out the side of the building and flying around the window.

Apparently the scouts liked what they found, because on Sunday, more bees arrived to take a gander—enough bees to warrant a call to the beekeeper sister (moi). While I was on the phone with my brother and his parner trying to assess what was going on, a swarm descended en masse in what they described as a "snowstorm of bees."

By the time Wren and I got there (and we drove pretty fast), the swarm-excitement had passed and the bees were hunkering down in their new quarters. Here are some pics snapped with iPhone as the swarm made its way into the hole beneath the window sill.
The issue now under consideration is whether to leave the bees be, as it were, or have them removed. Thoughts? Votes? Opinions? Insights? We welcome them all.

3 comments:

Abelisto said...

I think beekeeping does. I suspect my children and grandchild have beekeeping in their blood.

Anonymous said...

sweet honey in the house...

Gordo said...

My eldest son is certainly as hooked as I am.